|Possible Weather-Related Delay of Filing Deadline 1 3 14.pdf||41.1 KB|
One unique challenge of completing related tasks to the Spring Election in Wisconsin is the potential closing of governmental offices due to severe winter weather. The deadline for local candidates to file nomination papers with their filing officers is 5 p.m. on Tuesday, January 7, 2014. The G.A.B. has received several inquiries regarding the upcoming weather forecast in some parts of Wisconsin and the possibility that local governmental offices, especially school districts, may be closed.
In order to address those concerns in a consistent and timely manner, the G.A.B. is providing the guidance below. While many school district clerks may not receive election communications through the G.A.B. website, the Wisconsin Association of School District Administrators has agreed to forward this memorandum to school district superintendents throughout the State, and we appreciate that assistance.
- Nomination papers and declaration of candidacy forms for candidates on the Spring Election ballot are due at 5 p.m. on January 7, 2014. Pursuant to Wis. Stat. § 8.10(2), however, the filing deadline is extended to the following day if the filing deadline is a holiday. The G.A.B. considers the closing of an office of the filing officer, due to severe weather at the direction of the authorized official, to be a local holiday for purposes of the filing deadline.
- If the office of a local filing officer (clerk of a county, city, village, town, school district or special purpose district) is closed due to severe weather on January 7, 2014, the filing deadline for nomination papers and declaration of candidacy forms for candidates of the jurisdiction which is closed shall be 5 p.m. on Wednesday, January 8, 2014.
- If schools are closed due to severe weather but the school district administration office remains open, there is no extension of the filing deadline.
- If the office of a filing officer is closed due to weather only on Monday, January 6, 2014 the filing deadline remains 5 p.m. on January 7, 2014.
- In the event that the office of a filing officer is closed due to severe weather on the filing deadline, the G.A.B. encourages the filing officer to communicate the extension of the filing deadline by all reasonable means, such as posting a notice outside the office building door and/or on a website, and communicating to registered candidates who have not filed their documents, if practical.
If you have any questions regarding this guidance, please do not hesitate to contact our Help Desk at email@example.com or (608) 261-2028. Thank you for adjusting your election efforts to the Wisconsin weather.