2005 Wisconsin Act 451 requires that all municipal clerks attend a Government Accountability Board – Elections Division sponsored training program at least once every 2 years, §7.15(1m), Wis. Stats. All Wisconsin municipal clerks must attend the Municipal Clerk Training Core Curriculum Course (MCT Core), by law, before they are certified to conduct an election.
As a Wisconsin municipal clerk, you should fall into one of the three following categories:
- New municipal clerks - new clerks are required to take the 3-hour MCT Core training before they are certified to conduct an election and need to accumulate three additional hours of election-related training for a total of six hours by December 31, 2017 to recertify for the 2018-2019 term. A list of approved MCT hours is listed below.
- Municipal clerks who recertified for the 2015-2017 term – clerks who met the recertification requirements by accumulating six hours of election-related training (for new clerks three of the six hours must be MCT Core) by December 31, 2014 recertified for the 2015-2017 term. During the 2015-2017 term, clerks need to accumulate six hours of election-related training to recertify for the 2018-2019 term. A list of approved MCT hours is listed below.
- Municipal Clerks who did not recertify for the 2015-2017 term – clerks who failed to meet the recertification requirements have lost their certification and must start over. This means that in order to qualify as a municipal clerk for election purposes in the 2015-2017 term, the municipal clerk must attend the 3-hour MCT Core training class and accumulate three additional hours of election-related training - for a total of six hours - by the February 17, 2015 primary before he or she is certified to conduct an election. The six hours of training will certify the clerk for the 2015-2017 term and will also recertify the municipal clerk for the 2018-2019 term. A list of approved MCT hours is listed below.
Approved MCT Hours
Training opportunities that count toward recertification hours must be approved by the GAB – Elections Division. Examples of activities that count toward recertification hours include:
- Webinar Sessions; either live or using tapes (hours vary)
- Chief inspector training classes (3 hours, once per term).
- SVRS or WisVote training classes (hours vary).
- Election administration sessions; such as the roundtable discussions or presentations given by GAB staff at Wisconsin Towns Association or Wisconsin Municipal Clerks Association meetings, among others (2-3 hours each).
- Election administration sessions, such as the Voter Photo ID outreach presentations given by GAB staff (hours vary).
- Training you have received conducted by another county or municipal clerk that has been approved for recertification credit by GAB staff (hours vary).
- Redistricting training conducted by G.A.B. or LRB staff (hours vary).
- Campaign Finance training by GAB staff (2 hours).
- WEDCS (GAB-190) training by GAB staff (2 hours) or WEDCS (GAB-190) training online (1 hour); you may not claim credit for both.
- Voting equipment testing or training (1 hour total per 2-year cycle).
- Municipal Clerk Institute Election training (hours vary).
- Absentee Lite training video (.5 hours). http://gab.wi.gov/clerks/svrs/training/absentee-lite-view
- Canvass training video (.5 hours). http://gab.wi.gov/clerks/svrs/training/canvass-view
If you have additional questions, please contact Allison Coakley at email@example.com or 608-261-2033.
|MCT Recertification Form -fillable.pdf||86.53 KB|